2018 Reference Documents:
Our membership has been at the core of our organization since 1988 when four families came together to share stories, and develop resources and connections.
Our membership has now grown and comprises more than 200 families as registered members of our organization. They represent every age group, from pre-birth to end-of-life, and each unique story provides context and hope for the next generation of parents and families.
Becoming a member
You don’t have to have Down syndrome, or even a family member with Down syndrome to join us as a member. Membership is available for families, individuals or organizations. Membership can be registered throughout the year, and renews each December for the following January.
The annual Membership fee is $40, which includes membership for CDSS ($15). For families of individuals with Down syndrome who are experiencing financial hardship, we are able waive these fees to ensure that finances are not a barrier to accessing our support or resources.
Your 2018 EDSS membership ($25) includes:
- Subsidized individual therapies, programs and classes for individuals with Down syndrome and their families
- Invitations to EDSS community social events and activities
- Subscription to our regular bi-monthly newsletter (distributed by e-mail) and a vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Invitation to attend the Learning sessions and workshops, which regularly include special guest speakers, with topics relating to Down syndrome
- Access to extensive resources/information specific to Down syndrome available from our resource lending library
- Access to Facebook members page (with membership number).
- Access to family support liaison.
Your CDSS membership ($15) includes:
- A subscription to the 21 Quarterly magazine, the 21 Monthly newsletter
- A vote at the CDSS Annual General Meeting
To become a member, mail completed membership form and cheques payable to EDSS to:
Edmonton Down Syndrome Society
9139 39 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6E 5Y2
Withdrawal of Membership
- A member may withdraw from the society by tendering his/her resignation in writing, either by email or letter, to the office.
- A member may be expelled from the organization if they have given cause. This can only take place by a unanimous vote by the Board of Directors.
- Loss of membership may occur if membership dues are not paid within the grace period (30 days).uploads/files/Documents/EDSS%20Membership%202018.pdf